Yes, there is such a thing as too much meta-humor. But I eagerly await the day that some studio, so bereft of ideas, decides to make an anime adaptation of lolikitsune’s visual novel about anibloggers.
Fansub group: gg (they’ve been busy)
Things I liked:
- I have to agree with Shin about the male lead, he’s shamelessly chasing the harem dream. You gotta give some respect.
- The artwork was occasionally ok.
Things I didn’t like:
- Could have been the quality of the video, but the colors seemed washed out. Animation as a whole was not that hot, but as a random, slapstick comedy, you’d probably expect that.
- Heavy-handed with the referential humor. A lot of it seemed shoehorned in. They’re going to run out of stuff to pick on by episode 4.
- No personality of its own.
Random other thoughts:
Seitokai no Ichizon was a summer show that got delayed to this fall. It was probably for the better, because it would’ve been crushed amidst the summertime quality. But amidst the fall season’s mediocrity, it blends in pretty harmlessly. To be honest, after I read Patrik’s drubbing of the light novel on Random Curiosity, I expected this show to be complete crap. And while it wasn’t good, it wasn’t horrendous either. The harem guy is pretty amusing. The girls are occasionally cute. And the machine-gun pace of the jokes means you don’t dwell on all of the misses along the way.
The biggest problem I have with Seitokai no Ichizon is that it has no personality of its own. Rapid-fire comedies generally aren’t my thing, but one thing you can say about shows like Zetsubou Sensei, Hidamari Sketch and Pani Poni Dash is that they all have a distinct personality… hmm, taking a second look at that list, maybe this would’ve been better off as a SHAFT show. But I digress. Ichizon from the beginning makes it clear that this is a show with no plot and everything’s the same. But by relying so heavily on referential humor, anytime it tries to throw in an original joke, images of tumbleweed rolling through the desert pop up in my head. Moreso than the anime references, I liked the last part of the show the best, when it tried to stand on its own accord.
All in all, I’m probably not going to watch this, but more because it’s not my style than because it was garbage.