I’d read good things about KK #13. Read that it was the best episode since the first episode. Even read some comments that it felt like a whole new show. So I watched it, somewhat skeptical, but with a renewed hope in mind. Conclusion? No, it still sucks. Nothing’s changed. The show still looks cheaply animated, we didn’t lose the dumb synchro scenes, the Konbini-voyeur quickly went from ambiguously evil to clearly evil, and the story still sucks.
Things I liked:
- Kuro finally won some fights! Looks like her time off was well spent training.
- The Konbini-voyeur’s plan of using the doppeliner system to change the world, through luck and economics is interesting to me, because I think economics is pretty interesting, but probably pretty boring to everyone else.
Things I didn’t like:
- I was starting to like Konbini-voyeur, because it felt like he had some shades of gray. But this episode clearly showed his evil intentions. We just replaced Reishin with the Konbini-voyeur. They have the same goals and want to remake the world. One for mototsumitamas and one for humans. Big whoop.
- WTF is with this neverending Exceed? And the mass produced Thousands? It’s like trans-spam mode all over again.
- It still felt like the same show. Perhaps my expectations were too high. But it still had the same sloppy writing, the same one-dimensional characters, and the same cheap-looking animation.
Random other thoughts:
Anyway, I’m dropping this show. I’d only kept writing about it as long as I did, because I was hoping it would end after episode 12 or 13 (and because it allowed me to experiment with different post formats). Once it didn’t and it failed to wow me, the writing was on the wall. There’s an off chance I may still keep watching this since I’m already halfway through, but even that seems like a waste of time. Boo. Final grade: F.