Just some random thoughts that ran through my head as I got around to watching some of the season’s premieres. On tap? Eden of the East, another potential Production IG winner?
Things I liked:
- The show looks great. The stylized character designs really pop against the realistic and detailed backgrounds. I also like that they’re using a pretty broad color palette.
- English, not Engrish! The English voice actors didn’t sound like pros, but it shows that even the worst voice “acting” sounds even better than the best Engrish. I also like that they picked English speakers who sounded “American.” I’ve seen too many K-dramas that have picked some random dude, who’s most likely Russian or in some cases British, pretend to sound like an American. So kudos for the detail to attention.
- Very nice OP/EDs. Oasis’ song fits the show really well, and I liked the animated sequence. The ED doesn’t sound as good as the OP, but I love the paper animation.
- Plot is interesting and diverse. An apparent budding romance against a backdrop of sociopolitical intrigue.
- DC! I’ve seen that place in person!
Things I didn’t like:
- Does everyone have Babel Fish embedded in their brains? I didn’t like that the Americans reacted to spoken Japanese like it was nothing. Sort of takes away from the realism they established by getting English speakers in the first place.
- Uh, johnny? Amusing, but completely ridiculous. Besides, flashing is a crime in of itself.
- I don’t want to be the reality police, as I realize this is anime, but Saki would’ve been arrested and sent to Guantanamo for tossing coins at the White House, and Akira, who was walking naked and waving a gun, would’ve been shot dead on the spot. I’m just saying
- Sum of the parts were underwhelming. Lots of interesting pieces, but it didn’t cohesively click for me.
Random other thoughts:
Maybe I shouldn’t have watched this late at night while I was tired. Because while I really liked certain aspects of the show – the design, the animation, the characters, the setting, the story – I didn’t walk away from it thinking “oh, that was awesome.” I can tell that it’s going to be a very unique show, and one worth keeping an eye on, but for whatever reason, I was a little underwhelmed. Perhaps I’ll be singing a different song after watching the second episode. I’ll make sure I’m wide awake for that one.