Just some random thoughts that ran through my head as I got around to watching some of the season’s premieres. On tap? Sengoku Basara. A show 21stcenturydigitalboy refers to as Gurren Laggan with samurais. Pretty accurate description actually.
Fansub group: Shinsen-Subs
What I liked:
- Everyone. I mean everyone is GAR like their lives depend on it. It’s like a show full of Kaminas.
- Awesome seiyuu cast. I especially liked hearing Souichirou Hoshi doing his Maebara Keichi with spears.
- Good character designs, excellent animation. IG Production did a great job capturing the movement and just giving it life.
- Excellent soundtrack. OP/ED are just ok, but the in-anime soundtrack pumps you up.
- Great, over-the-top action scenes.
- Kasuga is the first dere dere ninja I’ve ever seen. Plus, she’s half naked.
- Did I mention everyone is completely GAR on an insane level? You won’t find any of your standard, sniveling, shameless harem lead guys here.
What I didn’t like:
- No one died. This just seems like one of those shows where at least one or two people should die each episode and there should be a grand massacre in the finale.
- It’s a historical drama.
Random other thoughts:
Next time I’m going to either have to be more thorough with my season preview, or not do one at all. But to be fair to myself, I had no intention to watch this show originally. On an exponential scale, if Mahjong rates a -1 on things I’m interested in, historical dramas with samurais and crap are like a -7. I don’t know why. I like sword fighting. I like martial arts. I like most samurais not named Tom Cruise. But I hate historical dramas.
But my interest was piqued after reading digitalboy’s glowing first impressions. And after he continued to cream his jeans over the second episode, I figured I had to give it a shot. And what can I say, he hit the nail on the head. Sengoku Basara is definitely the most over-the-top GAR shounen series I’ve ever seen. It really is like watching a bunch of Kaminas, Kittans and older GAR Simons dressed up as samurais fighting each other. Even the guys that like each other beat the crap out of each other. I don’t know if I’ll write about this series on a weekly basis, but it is definitely, definitely worth watching. Helluva surprise.