Princess Lover is probably the premiere ecchi harem comedy of the summer season. Hmm, is that an oxymoron?
Fansub group: Hitode
Things I liked:
- I thought the intro scene with Teppei’s parents was actually quite well done. It felt like it could’ve come out from a Key melodrama. Except this harem will probably get played more for laughs and will feature much larger busts.
- Character designs are nice. Well, at least the faces and outfits are. The colossal melons are actually really embarassing.
- Teppei’s a pretty cool dude for a harem lead, and seems like he can handle himself pretty well (although he did need saving from the ass-kicking elderly butler), similar to another OK harem lead, Yoichi from Asu no Yoichi (and to a lesser degree Washizu). I just hope unlike Yoichi and Washizu, Teppei can get to first base without slipping on any nosebleeds along the way. Eventually someone’s going to learn that you don’t need to be a loser to be a harem lead, it’s alright to have a little bit of the playa gene in you.
- Thumbs up to the horse-carriage chase scene. I mean it’s totally ridiculous, but it was still pretty awesome, if only to see the elderly butler whomping some banchou butt.
- I think I like the premise of the story, with Teppei’s quest for revenge serving as the backbone. It may be somewhat clichéd, but I think it’ll be much better than some of the other lame harem settings we’ve seen.
Things I didn’t like:
- Going back to my point earlier, these girl’s breast sizes are ridiculous. During the episode Princess Hazellink asks Teppei, "do guys like girls with big breasts?" And Teppei sort of weasels out of answering it, because what he really would’ve said is, "yeah, until it gets to the point where it looks like you stuck 2 bowling balls under your shirt." This show gets a 10 from me if the "winning" girl wins because everyone else playing the game bows out due to back injuries.
- The animation seemed pretty uneven. Some scenes looked really well drawn, while other scenes looked awkward. Oddly, most of the scenes featuring Teppei looked alright, while more of the scenes featuring one of the busty ladies looked off. Maybe it has to do with over-animation?
Random other thoughts:
I’m looking forward to seeing the Rin Tohsaka cosplayer, not only because she stole Tohsaka’s outfit, but also because she seems like one of the more normally proportioned girls in the show. (I hate to harp one this, but it’s a sad state of events when the loli has the most normal looking figure in the show.) Otherwise, while Princess Lover probably isn’t going to be anything remarkable, it should be an entertaining ride, mixing in some drama and action with the ecchi stuff to keep us on our toes. Thoughts?